Project: John Muafangejo Season (3rd- 8th October 2016)
Background and nature of the project:
The John Muafangejo Season is a new effort aimed at honoring the remarkable legacy of John Muafangejo through a series of collaborative arts and cultural activities with local and guest practitioners from the Southern African region. John Muafangejo was not only an artist, he was also activist who reflected the socio-political condition of Namibia during the colonial era. Today, his work which is archived in many collections around the world is still relevant to the contemporary issues. There is still more technical and conceptual lessons that contemporary practitioners can draw from Muafangejo works.
The 2016 season is therefore framed and themed as an intersection of art, archives and activism. It will involve local artists and curators to participate in a series of critical knowledge making and capacity building activities.
The John Muafangejo Season falls into four strategic areas of JMAC which are gallery and exhibition making, curation and critical thinking, residency, skills, product and audience development.
Scope of the Project:
The season will take place during the week of 3rd- 8th of October 2016 across various venues around Windhoek. This week will include events such as exhibitions, public discussions, walk-abouts and performances that will be co-created through an exchange process between local practitioners and those from the SADC region.
The objectives of this project are as follows:
- To develop and promote new work with a strong socio-political and economic foci. We are looking at encouraging local practitioners to explore 'artivism' as an approach to making work, the meeting point of art and activism
- To share ideas, information and skills on artistic and curatorial practices in the context of activism and archives
- To create an annual platform for rigorous cultural exchange process between local artists and guests artists from the region
- To pay tribute to the legacy of John Muafangejo as well as promote and expose local contemporary artworks that contributes to Namibia's social transformation
Events and activities
The overall season is will be made up of arts activities and events that will take place over two weeks at different venues at the John Muafangejo Art Centre, National Art Gallery of Namibia (NAGN), National Archives, College of the Arts (COTA) and Katutura Community Art Centre (KCAC).
The Season programme will be made up of:
- 4 Exhibitions
- 5 Walkabout Workshops
- 2 Performances
- 2 Art Dialogues: lectures, open dialogues, presentations
- Social media activities